Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation
Map courtesy of Chelmer Canal Trust
Location: The fishing is the towpath and public access banks between Chelmsford and Heybridge basin. The main features and access is as follows and highlighted on the map.
1.Springfield Lock – Access from Wharf Road, Pay and Display car parking available.
2.Barnes Mill Lock – Limited car parking in meadow.
3.Sandford Lock – Road access with few parking places.
4.Cuton Lock - No road access.
5.Stonehams Lock – Road access via Allen Way.
7.Paper Mill Lock – Access via Hatfield Road/North Hill with roadside parking.
8.Rushes Lock – No road access.
9.Hoe Mill Lock – Access via the Causeway with roadside parking.
11.Beeleigh Lock and Langford Cut – Access via private road to Golf course with limited parking by lock. Access via Tesco’s car park – Please Park sensibly. Access via Holloway Road/Heybridge Street road bridge, no parking.
12.Heybridge basin – large public car park.
General Information: The fishery is shared with a number of other clubs. Maldon notice boards predominate. Please observe notice boards erected along the canal as certain banks will remain out of bounds or private. Stocked with carp to 30lb, pike to 25lb, bream to 8lb, tench to 6lb, chub to 5lb, perch to 3lb, roach to 1.5lb and dace to 8oz.
BDAC rules apply plus the rules for the fishery listed below:
1. Close season applies 15th March to 15th June inclusive.
2. Anglers must not dig swims into bank.
3. No fish to be kept in captivity for longer than 6 hours and any fish showing signs of distress should be returned immediately.
4. Where a match is advertised, the stretch of water will be closed for fishing from both banks for 2 hours before and 1 hour after the match.
5. The use of live fish baits is not permitted.
6. Anglers fishing for carp and pike must use an unhooking mat.
7. Carp sacks are not to be used and carp over 5lbs will not be retained by any method, except during officially booked matches.
8. No fishing within 30 metres of any lock, nor within 15 metres of any bridge, weir, wharf, landing stage, permanent mooring or other navigational structure.
9. No fishing on that part of the waterway just above Daisy Meadow Car Park and Heybridge basin.
10. No fishing between Paper Mill road bridge and the upstream end of the towpath moorings at Paper Mill.
11. No fishing on that part of the waterway adjacent to Treasure Island at Little Baddow.
12. No fishing on that part of the waterway adjacent to the South Bank between Hall Bridge Heybridge and Heybridge basin.
13. No angler is to be inconsiderate or abusive towards other users of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation.
Sunday 24 November 2019 at Hicks Farm
Wednesday 4 December 2019 at Hicks Farm
Sunday 8 December 2019 at Slough House
Sunday 15 December 2019 at Straits mill
Wednesday 25 December 2019 at Willow Mere